Tournament of Minds is a problem-solving program for teams of high achieving students from both primary and secondary schools.
Tournament of Minds (TOM) students are required to solve demanding, open-ended challenges from one of the following disciplines:
- Science Technology
- Engineering Mathematics
- Social Sciences
- Language Literature
TOM is an opportunity for students with a passion for learning and problem solving to demonstrate their thinking and performance skills and talents in an exciting, vibrant and public way. It has been one of the fastest growing national inter-school programs to challenge the youth of Australia and has now expanded internationally.
Tournament of Minds:
- Provides the stimulation of real, open-ended challenges;
- Develops creative problem solving approaches and techniques;
- Fosters cooperative learning and team work;
- Promotes knowledge and appreciation of self and others;
- Encourages experimentation and risk taking;
- Expands and rewards creative and divergent thinking;
- Stimulates a spirit of inquiry and a love of learning;
- Develops enterprise;
- Celebrates excellence.
Sherbourne Primary School has been involved in the TOM program for the past 20 years. We have experienced great success and have regularly had teams progress to the Victorian State finals and the Australasian Pacific Finals. Such success has enabled our teams of students to travel to various state capital cities to represent our school and the state of Victoria. At Sherbourne Primary School the TOM program provides great opportunity to extend the abilities of our gifted and talented students in years 5 and 6.